Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Best & Worst

As "they" say (whoever "they" is)...

It was the Best of times, it was the Worst of times.

We have just returned home from a whirlwind tour of the midwest.  That is to say - we visited family over the holiday, flying to Texas, driving to Kansas and back again, and flying home.  Whew!

The Best:

Often, holidays with my family are stressful.  Of all the times I've made the Kansas-back-to-Texas trek, many memories are of crying in the car - upset and/or frustrated about one thing or another.  This time?  That didn't happen.  Overall, it was a very pleasant, nearly peaceful visit.  I was a bit sad not to be able to see my neices and nephews (it's been over a year - and possibly two years - since I've seen them!)  Somehow, though, this Christmas Eve was magical.  It had that "spirit" of the holiday.

Before the actual holiday, we got to spend quality one-on-one time with most family.  It's great to see family at big get-togethers, but the smaller group visits this time around were more enjoyable.  It's so wonderful to visit, relax, and just hang-out with family.  This year, I found myself truly blessed in so many ways.  Perhaps that is - in part - why this particular holiday felt special to me.

The Worst:

Among Baby G's Christmas Presents lurked Pneumonia (or at the very least, she was diagnosed with Pneumonia on Christmas Eve after a three plus hour stint in the Immediate Care Center).  In fact - generally, it seems this visit centered around the health of the family.  Everyone is getting older, it's true - but there were many in the family where deteriorating health is evident.  It makes me want to make my health a priority for 2013.  I can't change the health of those around me - but hopefully, I can make changes to my own eating and exercise habits.  In fact, I'm looking forward to a 5 mile run on New Year's Day with a couple of neighbors!

There was also the weather.  It wasn't snowing in Kansas, but about the time we hit the Oklahoma border (1 hour into the drive), we begin bringing snow with us from Oklahoma all the way to Texas.  The trip took a few hours longer than it should have, and going was slow and a bit treacherous.   Kudos onto my hubby for keeping us safe, even though we saw countless of spin-outs, fender benders, and overturned cars.

So to family and friends... as the New Year approaches... I wish for all of you good health!