Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kansas Day!

It is - again - January 29th.  All I can think of on this day is... it's Kansas day!

I'm not sure if schools in Kansas still celebrate by making "books" that include the Buffalo (state animal), the Meadowlark (state bird), the sunflower (state flower) and the state flag - just to name a few.  I know that I have at least two such books from when I was in elementary school.  There's also the cotton wood tree and the ornate box turtle and the honeybee.  In fact, I was in the Kansas Legislature as a child when the vote to make the box turtle the state reptile passed in 1986.

We also made all sorts of crafts.  Rings out of wire and seed beads.  Corn husk and/or yarn dolls.

I've never learned the history of other states (Texas, North Carolina) - I couldn't tell you when they were admitted (or suceded) into/from the Union.  I don't know their state songs.  It took me forever to even learn what the term "tar heel" means - or why it is significant to North Carolina (has to do with tree tar, for all the logging industry here).

I will always - however - have a fondness for Kansas Day.

Home, Home on the Range
Where the deer and the antelope play
where seldom is heard a discouraging word
and the skies are not cloudy all day.