Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Recipe - Stuffed Pepper Soup

I'm not always good about giving credit for things I see and follow.

Particularly when it comes to recipes posted on Facebook.

Last night, I made Stuffed Pepper Soup.  I only thought it was "ok", but I brought leftovers to work today - and YUM!  Some things are just better reheated the next day!

Here's the original recipe - - although I modified to accomodate weight watchers, and also what we had "on hand".  I originally saw it on my friend JL's page, but don't know who shared it first!

Stuffed Pepper Soup
Serve 6 (or 3 hungry bikers)
398 cals 5.6g fat (1.9g saturated) (without cheese)

1lb LEAN ground beef
1 lg onion, diced
1 cup uncooked or 2 cups cooked rice
1 can Hunts flavored diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (14.5oz can)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp basil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 box chicken stock (32oz)
2 cups water
 3 bell peppers (I use 1 big green pepper then 4-5 red and 4-5 yellow BABY bell peppers)
Cheese for topping (optional)
 

In a large soup pot coated with cooking spray, over medium-high heat, brown the grown beef with the onions and rice. Browning the rice gives it a nice nutty flavor – do not allow it to burn!!

Meanwhile dice your peppers into small ½" pieces, set side.

Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, chicken stock, and water, then allow it to come to a boil.

 Reduce heat, cover and allow it to cook 20 minutes then add the peppers and allow it to cook another 20-30 minutes (some types of rice may need longer cooking times)
Serve with cheese on top (optional)