Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Split Personalities?

For me, part of being pregnant is developing a split personality. Let me explain further:

Personality #1: (Warning: you may want to skip this part, in favor of Personality #2 and #3)
I very much dislike being pregnant, and I complain about it often! There's the indigestion, the swollen ankles, and getting exhausted walking up one stinkin' flight of stairs. There is the inability to see my feet, the inability to sleep comfortably, and the inability to control my emotions (that were at least at one time a bit more stable). There are stretch marks, and being kicked around from the inside. There's the occasional back pain after I've walked around too long, or after sitting sometimes. I can't bend over in a chair to reach and pick something up off the floor comfortably. All of my body parts run together- my chest sits on top of my belly (and between the two I'm sweating where I've never had problems sweating before). My belly sits on top of my thighs when I'm seated. I can't lay on my back. Occasionally, if I stretch just right, I get a sharp pain right under my right breast. And speaking of boobs, these growing things mean that I no longer have bras that fit right. I'm sick of my wardrobe, and nothing fits as comfortably as it did a few weeks ago. I nap - all the time - and can't seem to stay awake to study. I *HATE* gaining weight. I wobble when I walk. I get worn out walking through a mall. The heat is miserable. I haven't been giving the dogs enough attention. I have to pee- all the time. I can't sleep as easily at night (because I can't get comfortable, and I get up twice to pee). I've realized that the women who tell you they "had a great pregnancy" or they "enjoyed being pregnant" are NOT PREGNANT at the time they are relaying the sentiment!

Personality #2:
Is holding a knife to Personality #1 (figuratively)! My pregnancy has been relatively healthy, and I have so much for which to be thankful! I haven't had anything majorly wrong, and I don't truly feel like I have anything to complain about, in earnest! I have a wonderful, supportive husband who is building a crib from scratch, and has been very caring through every mood swing and every complaint. I have many supportive friends and relatives! I have this little life living inside of me, and I'm so very excited to be a mother! This is something I have wanted and been waiting for a very long time.

Personality #3:
This personality is really separate- and as of yet unknown! It's the personality that doesn't even belong to me - and will depart to be his own little being soon. It's the personality of the little baby, yet to show himself to the world.

9 weeks or so to go.... and hopefully, sometime after that, the return of what I like to think of as my true Personality - #2. And of course, the personality yet-to-be-discovered in Personality #3.


*** Personality #2 truly feels that I must caveat that contrary to what Personality #1 may lead you to believe, I'm really doing pretty well!