Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"just" a picnic...

If there's one thing I have mastered in my life thus far, it's how to stress about something.

Today was the very first "packed lunch" for kiddo. Daycare had a "picnic."

What's the big deal, right? After all, it is JUST a picnic.

And yes, I just got kiddo a cute Elmo lunch box, so that part was covered.

But what about the rest?
Did I need to pack a drink? If so, I forgot. Doh! Thankfully, he was given milk with his lunch.

Kiddo wound up with a quesadilla (isn't that what every mom cooks first thing in the morning?...hmm... maybe a cheese sandwich would have been just as good... although, it is highly probable that the bread was moldy).

Then, we packed yogurt. But is yogurt and a cheese quesadilla too much from the "milk" group? And what about protein... does he have to have some kind of meat?

Fruit... definitely needed to add fruit... thankfully, the cantaloupe (one of his favorites) was already cut up and in the fridge, just needed to be 'bagged'.

Will he be able to open the bag on his own, though?

For good measure (and not because he didn't already have twice as much in his lunch box as he would ever eat), I also added some goldfish crackers and cookies. After all, you have to have something special in your lunch, right?

Geesh. And even before the morning stuff started, I compared notes with a few moms about what they pack for their kiddos. I also did a quick internet search on toddler lunches. I assure you that I devoted entirely too much time and energy to one simple lunch.

It was a longer-than-usual morning at my house, with the stress over the lunch. I also had to make sure that Dad was reminded about the picnic, so the lunch didn't get "forgotten".

Love: Another new, odd, milestone
Hope: The remaining "picnic" lunches this summer (one per month) go a little smoother! At least I've got the first one under my belt.
Do: Eat lunch with kiddo for the picnic, if possible!
Number: 28 - which is the number on my mind today!