Saturday, January 14, 2012

Another year older...

Although I haven't posted about numbers recently, I think I need people to know that today, I'm 35 years old.  I feel like I've moved up a check-box.  You know, those surveys where somehow if you are 35 you are in a different "target" audience or something.

For some reason, the thought of this particular birthday was a little more daunting than my last front-number changer.  Yet somehow - it wasn't too shabby.

For lunch, we tried out the Flying Biscuit.  If nothing else, the name intrigued me.  It wound up being a hit. The boys love biscuits, I love my boys, and breakfast is awesome any time of day!  As an added bonus, it put us close to the downtown area- and walking distance from my favorite, quaint little tea shop.  I stopped in for some red raspberry and nettles (as recommended by the midwife a little more than a month ago), as well as more of a favorite or two!

It was also the "grand opening" of a mom and pop chocolate shop (hey, that rhymes!) located in an old depot.  Although it wasn't as "grand" as I expected - they only sell/produce 5 types of chocolate bars - it was fun, and I'm glad I went.  Kiddo spit out the dark peppercorn, but I took home peppermint and sea salt bars.  My chocolate collection has grown this pregnancy, since this little girl makes chocolate not taste quite the same.  I hope my taste buds are back in sync soon!

Only a few weeks to go, now.  Thank goodness.  And also the last (and only) time I'll be pregnant on my birthday (hopefully!) Any future kids, if they exist, will have to be born in Oct through December or so.  That, or I will officially be changing my birthday one year (DH's great suggestion).

Did I mention homemade Paella for dinner with creme brulee for dessert?  Yeah, I was a bit pampered today.

Actually... I should mention that I (finally!) got my own "Life is Good" shirt.  I've been giving these things out for several years now, but actually have few pieces in my own personal collection.  It started with a hat, then I learned that my friend is a professor where the founder graduated.  As a nice added touch, DH and Kiddo were both wearing their Life is Good apparel today - and I somehow failed to take a picture.  I did snap a picture of my new acquisition, however!


It manages to combine several of my favorite things:  The color purple, the Life is Good brand, a tree (love the outdoors!), and a bike - that I hope to actually be able to ride again one day!  Many of the items they carry also have an iconic dog (Jake), running shoes, and other sorts of things that make me happy.  I like to think I try to live by the slogan - even those days when that isn't quite so easy to do!


Overall, a successful birthday.  Over 50+ "comments" on facebook - including a very sentimental note from my brother.  It feels like a "virtual" birthday party!

In closing, a friend of mine - mother of two - said this to me a few years ago, and somehow it has stuck, and each birthday I am reminded of it.  Her quote:  "Some people think that after you have kids of your own, your birthday no longer matters.  I like to think it still does."