Sunday, April 21, 2013

Dating... the "other" type...

I read a post today that triggered thoughts on dating.

The post I read (and somehow can't find to credit) was related to "Dating for Moms".  I thought it had some clever ideas for how it described the "base" system:
1st base:  An "organized" family activity (for example, a family event at daycare)
2nd base: An "organized" activity, but outside of the "normal" - such as one you schedule
3rd base: Hanging out at the other person's house for a playdate
4th base: Hanging out with the moms and no kids!

I'm sure I've taken several liberties with this list...

And I think as an adult, it's hard to "date"- or find friends.  Of course, for me, it has always been hard.  I've had countless parties where I invited many, only to have a small handful show up.

And to get all the dynamics just right (same socio-economic situation - for example - so when you want to or are able to suggest a "splurge" on something, you don't feel like you will make it a hardship on someone else..) and same or similar interests... there are just so many dimensions and dynamics when people are involved, that friendships are (or at least- can be) hard.  Blech.

Since moving to North Carolina, though, I am feeling a bit more in-tune.  I don't have a solid group of "running" friends, like I did in Texas, but I do know a couple of people I can call if I want or need to go on a bike ride.  I found (created, really- with the help of several friends) a book club that rocks- and meets at one of the most stellar coffee shops in the city as an added bonus.  And there are even a few of kiddo's friends mom's that I've gotten to know.

So slowly, I am learning the ropes in the area.  Which is a good thing - - because it makes me a much happier person!

Up on the agenda soon?  Swimming lessons for the kiddos!