Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hair Cutting

It was inevitable.  They are kids, right?
 
The other day, we had some scissors out from a weekend project.  Eventually, we turned around and noticed that a little bit of Laura's hair was gone.  See picture below:



I found the scissors that were the "suspected" culprit.  I asked the boy, "Did you cut sisters hair?"  No, Mommy.  I asked the girl, "Did you cut your hair?" "No."  But... her hair was cut.

So... I asked Seth, "did you by chance cut Laura's hair"?  No.

Still a mystery.

As I picked up from daycare, the teacher's asked - who cut Laura's hair?  I asked, and she said "mommy!"  I told the teacher - Mommy did put her hair up today, but I did not use scissors on her hair.

Still a mystery.

Because I'm very critical/analytical, I mulled over this a bit more.  Last weekend, Daddy got his hair cut.  And the boy asked or mentioned something about Laura needing to have her hair cut.  I finally decided... it must be the boy.  And I was disappointed that the boy would have lied to me!

So - a conversation on lying ensued.  And then, a conversation with my hubby that I anticipated that the boy did it.  This was at the dinner table one night.  My "practical" hubby turns to the boy and asks, "Did you cut Laura's hair?" and his response is "Only a little bit of Laura's hair."

Okay, so did he really "lie" the first time?  Probably not.  After all... getting your hair cut almost always means ALL of your hair, right?

Either way... It was a quandry in our house for a few days.  But thankfully- - - at least this time, the mystery was solved.

And it really was only a "little" of her hair.  If she wears one pony on top of her head instead of two, you don't notice it at all.

And beyond that, even.... It's probably a childhood right of passage for both kids.  Or maybe just something that is significant as a parent.  And truly... It's probably my responsibility for having scissors down to wear a child could get to them and use them unattended by a parent.  There are way worse things (injuries, damaged furniture, etc) that could be done with scissors than just cutting "a little" hair.

I'm greatful that I have two pretty well behaved kids- - despite the occassional "little" incident!