Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why Cry?

It seems like several kid milestones come all at one time.

In the last week, there have been several instances of Kiddo becoming... well... a Kid.

This week, after a long (lots of whining) trip back to North Carolina from Texas, I was reading a letter from a dear penpal. As I was viewing the world through her eyes, I began to cry. Several of my top "joys" in life (eating, and travel among them) are ones this penpal can no longer experience. Although admittedly, I've known this for a while - when I saw it in writing, in the "words" of the person... it was very powerful and eye-opening. So when Kiddo looked over at me and said, "why cry?" - it became even more emotional. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm pregnant...

In the following two days, I heard two more things from Kiddo that were unexpected.

It's beginning to be the season for full-length pants, and there are still a few pairs that are too long for the boy. So, I told him to come over so I could help "fix" his pants by rolling up the legs. After I finished... he said "Thank You." Mind you- he's said "Thank You" many, many times before. However - to the best of my recollection - this was the first "Thank You" that I'd heard, directed to me, without prompting.

Another milestone/beginning is the use of Pronouns. We were sitting at the table, eating dinner. I don't remember what we were talking about - perhaps we had asked him a question of some kind. Not only did he say the name of a friend in school without prompting (starting with "C"), but he also used the word "I" - it could have been the phrase "I cry" now that I think about it. Regardless- the fact that we're beyond just the noun phase is fascinating to me.

I know that I obsess. After all, it's days later - and I'm still thinking about all the things Kiddo has said recently. And, of course, thinking about my penpal and realizing how short - and valuable - life can be.

Love: penpals - I've been thinking of trying to find a few others from childhood!
Hope: I live a long time before I am no longer able to eat or travel...
Do: Pen a letter back.
Number: 21,304 - my current number of frequent flyer miles, after a recent jaunt to Texas.