Friday, January 9, 2009

A tribute to my Kobe...

I've spent quite a lot of time over the last few days thinking about my Kobe, so I thought it was time I devote some space on my blog to my best friend.

You see, Kobe isn't just any dog. He's my first dog. I had dogs growing up, and I enjoyed them. But with Kobe - it's more of a partnership. I've spent numerous hours training him, but he's spent numerous hours teaching me.

I've learned about loving unconditionally. Kobe wags his tail when I get home - - every day. If I yell at him for digging through the trash, or if I fail to give him exercise for a long period of time, I still get the wagging tail when I get home. He forgives me.

I've learned about independence. Even as a dog, it's okay to do your own thing. In training for agility, one of my favorite memories was when my dog trainer told me (and the rest of the class) that Kobe has a middle finger. If there is something more important that needs to be sniffed, or a small animal that needs to be chased, everything else can wait. You see - - taking time out for what is important in life is a great way to live.

I've learned that sometimes, you sniff the wrong butts. Kobe has been sprayed by a skunk - - twice. He didn't learn the first time. I'm hoping I'm a little quicker at learning from my mistakes- but I am human, and I've certainly made some mistakes in my life - - sniffing the wrong butts, I suppose.

I've learned the importance of exercise. If only I could be as excited about running as Kobe is, I'd be a much healthier person!

I've learned that if you're having fun, it's okay if you don't always win. Kobe and I have run many agility courses together - - and he helped me learn to enjoy the moment. In fact, one of my favorite awards was for the dog that was having the most fun on a course. It was Easter, and we even beat a famous AKC Championship!

He's taught me patience, and the value in keeping your mouth shut sometimes. He does a great stay. Once we were at the emergency vet, and he wouldn't squeal/yelp in pain when the vet put a muzzle on him.

Starting when we got back from spending time with family over the holidays, the kennel called and told us Kobe wasn't walking right. That led to one vet visit, which lead to another, etc. After getting progressively worse, an MRI revealed a cyst (like a blister) attached to a disc in his spine (a discular cyst). Surgery yesterday (1/8/09) removed the cyst. Now, he's healing and still at the vet hospital. He's scheduled to come home on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it. Our house will be back to normal, and we'll be on our way to at least a healthier 2009.

So - if you've got a glass of wine (or can of pop, or even a bottle of water) sitting next to your computer - - please lift it and join me in a toast.

To Kobe.