Friday, January 30, 2009

16+9=25 Random Factoids

I think 25 is the new 16?

At the end of November, I posted 16 random things about me. Now it's the end of January, and everyone recently has been upping the ante to 25 random things! I'm... resourceful (as opposed to lazy)... so I'm reposting my 16 things, and adding 9 to make a total of 25!

For those only interested in something new.... Skip to #17!


1. I know more about dogs than the average person from training my dog, Kobe, in Agility for several years. When we participated in dog shows, the dog-related conversations ranged from breeding, to training, to alternative ways to cut nails.

2. The only way I like my hair cut is long and straight. Anytime I do something different (get it cut off, get a perm) I always go back to long and straight. Easy to put up for work or exercise, and fine to just leave down. In the last few years, I've gotten highlights a few times.... just because long and straight gets boring every now and again.

3. I have an "I Love you" toast stamper on my desk. It's from one of my favorite toy stores -- Toy Joy in Austin, Texas.

4. I love planning - and having plans. I get bored easily. I'm always looking forward to what's next. Right now, there's house hunting, going to see Stomp, and hopefully planning a honeymoon!

5. Socks, Socks, Socks. Yes, I love them. I have a passion for them. (This is old news, now that my blog has socks in the title.) I own more socks than any one person should ever own. I've got toe socks, socks that light up, and socks that are "clear." I've got fuzzy socks, and socks of just about every color of the rainbow. I have socks for every holiday, and random socks for book club (harry potter), or thong sandals (where they are more like mitten socks than glove/toe socks). I love socks.

6. My bedspread is red. (Hey, that rhymes!)

7. Since Seth and I met, we've been about 18 different places, and we have tons and tons of pictures. I narrowed that down to 150 for a wedding slide show, but clearly - - we love to travel and spend time together, and I hope our list of places to go and see continues to grow for the rest of our lives!

8. I love kids and everything or anything that has to do with kids. I love making faces and playing games. I love children's cookbooks and fun foods. I love laughing and the energy of children. I love scouting, and camp songs (and recently became a girl scout co-leader). I take every opportunity to be fun and silly - including jumping on trampolines, crawling on the floor, and getting dirty.

9. My last trip to Kansas was unexpected.

10. I am inspired, refreshed, and renewed by being outdoors. When I've had a bad day, there's nothing like a good walk or run to get rid of the negative stuff floating around in my head. I can take the dogs, or go by myself. Everytime I've spent 10 minutes or more outside, I return to the inside-world energized. Sunshine or rain, cold or hot - - enjoying the beauty of nature is among my favorite pastimes.

11. I started blogging because I felt like I should blog more often. It's something I actually like doing once in a while, but (before starting this blog, of course) I never took the time. I feel like if I scheduled it, that it would be too forced and I would no longer enjoy it. So, I'm stuck with a pattern of updating and/or posting something only once in a blue moon. I guess the moon is blue today, so I hope if you made it this far you are enjoying my random facts!

12. When we leave town, the thermostat is kept at about 62 in the winter. When we get cold, it's a bit chilly - - but no worries, we know some good techniques to warm up!

13. I give money to charity. I don't usually go around telling many people, because it's something I do for me and not for any kind of recognition. I can't always help my family in the ways they need it, so I donate to their community instead in hopes that in some small way, I can help pay for the services they may need to use. In fact, more than half of the money I give to charity goes to the community where my family lives (Wichita, Kansas).

14. I like to write, and one day hope to publish an autobiography. Until I moved to North Carolina, I even had the appropriate title - - - it was going to be named "My Life: Up and Down I-35". Unfortunately, where I live now is no longer on I-35. It is, however, along I-40. So somehow, a new name will eventually come to me. Of course, I guess I should probably start writing. The chapters I wrote in high school and middle school are a start, but a lot has happened since then. And I am excited to watch my chapters continue to unfold!

15. For my wedding, I had a weird rash on my left arm that I had the makeup person help me cover.

16. I am thankful for all of my friends and family. Since I have not lived in Kansas for a long time, I have always had friends that have adopted me as their family. Whether it's a running buddy, an agility friend, a coworker... I am eternally grateful for everyone who has been a part of my life. For the lessons I've learned, for the dinners we've shared, for the laughter and the tears - - thank you for being my friend.

17. I can be very controlling. Sometimes I get something set in my mind a certain way, and I will stop at nothing to achieve or accomplish whatever that is. Once, I was up well past my usual bedtime seeking out a specific book (and visiting 5 or 10 bookstores until I had that book in hand.)

18. I enjoy wine, but often get headaches from drinking it.

19. I spend entirely too much time on the computer, and sometimes start feeling guilty for it as a result. Recently, I've been playing more games online (especially on Facebook - Scrabble and Pack Rat are my favorites!)

20. I like the 24 hours following a run. The running part is not always fun - - and almost always hard to get motivated to do - - but I know it makes a difference in the 24 hours that follows, and is one of my top 5 ways to relieve stress. (Starbucks, shopping, and socks would likely also be in the top 5!)

21. Finding 25 random things to say IS hard. I'm sitting here reading through other people's blogs and/or random facts to finish out my list. When it comes to words.... I'm not ashamed to beg, borrow, or (in this case) steal.

22. I work at the Rate Bureau where we do Rate Filings. Today, we had to finish the Automobile Filing to be filed with the Department of Insurance before 5pm. It was about 1200 pages or more, and we had to make 8 copies.

23. I recently failed an Actuarial Exam. I have to (choose to?) take it again in late October/beginning of November. I only have two more to pass before I am done with them for good!

24. We have been eating out most of this week because we have not been groce ry shopping in a while. We are out of several basics, including cheddar cheese, orange juice, coke, and most fruits and vegetables.

25. I am very practical when it comes to cars. Currently, my Toyota Camry has a broken windshield, a broken grate on the front, and other damage that has not been repaired from about 3 or 4 accidents. Yes, I am a bad driver.