Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mom 'n Me


Before Baby, my hubby and I agreed to one last trip to each of the families before I was too big to travel. We started with a very quick visit to Wichita in May, and now we are doing a little more extended visit with the in-laws in Texas.

The in-laws were gracious enough to host not only my hubby and I, but also a baby shower! This led to them also hosting my mother for the duration of our visit.

Yesterday morning, my MIL started making lasagna. On one of my prior visits to the in-laws, she had shown me how to make my own lasagna noodles. I even now have the hardware to do it at home! My mother, however, doesn't have a kitchen aid and has never had homemade noodles. So in the kitchen, there we are -- mom and me making lasagna noodles. Perhaps one of the first cooking things I've ever been able to "teach" my mom. What's even more priceless, is my MIL took a picture (and gave me copies).

This picture captures not only my mom and I cooking together, but our shared history of cooking in some ways. A few years ago, we put together a cookbook and distributed to family and friends alike. My mom keeps asking for volume two. I can assure you that homemade lasagna noodles will be in that version!

Hope everyone had a wonderful fourth! Today is the day of the baby shower --- which means lots more family to see and spend time with, along with a few friends from Austin (who are bringing fresh figs... yum!)