Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What's in your Closet?

Not to be confused with, "What's in your wallet?"...

This Labor Day weekend, we did plenty of laboring (mixed in with some playing, too, of course!). We tackled our biggest closet: the one in the game room.

We had 2 or 3 old DVD players and CD players. A couple extra keyboards, a box of cables, and 3 shelves of games (which we mostly consolidated to two shelves). We had boxes that had not been opened or gone through since around 2006, including post cards, ribbons, crafting supplies, old gifts, and all kinds of craziness.

Now, when I suggest we went through the closet, that isn't to say, necessarily, that the project is complete. There is still a tote (plus an overflowing box) of crafting supplies that I didn't exactly "organize." I also went ahead and stored my 'bin' with lots of spare paper that will probably never get used - which probably should be cleaned out instead.

However, as part of the process, there were several "jewels" found among the mess.

For example:
Pictures and letters from numerous pen pals - my aunt, a boy named Aaron who was an avid biker, a girl in Norway named Elisabeth, and a girl from Massachusetts who taught me how to say Lake Chagogagogmanchogagogchugungabungamog - and yes, I still remember the pronunciation (even though my spelling is probably off), as well as the translation - I fish on my side, you fish on your side, and nobody fishes in the middle!

Kiddo's favorite (probably after the dog show ribbon collection) was the basket of New Orleans beads.

A bag full of goodies (ticket stubs, brochures, maps, etc) from our trip to London and New York and Paris.

A collection of wallet-sized photos collected in high school.

...

Although I'm sure there is plenty more cleaning and organizing to be done, I am happy that - for the most part - the closet looks a little less junky (even if it does look more stuffed!)

Love: Clean closets
Hope: It stays that way for a while!
Do: Get around to organizing the last bits and pieces.... eventually!
Number: 357 - for the number of post cards I found. Okay, so I might be making that up. I'd be happy to let you count them, though, if you need an "exact" number for today!