Friday, February 5, 2010

Scattered Thoughts...


This evening, I'm listening to my little chatter bug. Mark's making all kinds of noises lately! I wonder if he'll be this talkative as he gets older....

Anyhow, Today's blog will reflect my multiple scattered thoughts for the day. That was but one insight into my life!

As promised on yesterday's chatter, I'll tell the Hazmat story.

My work is in this building that is... to be kind... in need of demolition (for multiple reasons). My office is always cold. Always. One day last year, we held a meeting in the dark (with people from out of town) because the electricity went ka-put. (Most of my coworkers got the day off - but since I was in the meeting, I was stuck until at least noon or so). So... Yesterday's "episode" was just the latest in a stint of "problems". I went upstairs to get a pop (or soda, if you prefer) from the upstairs break room after my lunch, and saw our facilities person dragging a fan to that part of the building. I didn't think much of it, and went back to my office to pump (oh, the joy. not.). Just as I finished, my coworker knocks on my door and says, "we're being evacuated."

At that time there were 2 firetrucks outside. Within 10 minutes, we had 2 or 3 police cars, 4 fire trucks, a hazmat truck, the heating and air conditioning guys, and 2 ambulances. 20 minutes later, we had at least one news camera and the helicopter overhead circling our building.

I opted to walk to dunkin' donuts for a hot chocolate with a coworker who was a bit too shy to go on her own. We came back, and everyone was still standing outside.

The official word (after being out of the building for 45 minutes) was that perhaps the cover was not placed back on the AC unit. However, the building never tested too "out of whack" for any gases and/or chemicals, even though several employees had been complaining of headaches and nausea (hence, the ambulances - - ready to treat at least 12-15 people!)

It was cold outside.

On a positive note, however, today is "go red for women" month. My office hosted a yummy breakfast (BAGELS!... maybe my blog should be renamed starbucks, shopping, socks, and bagels... although bagels doesn't start with an s... hmm..) In addition to the bagels, we all wore red, and donated money to support heart health for women (I think). We raised more than the goal of $200 and it was really cool to see so much red/support around the office. Attached is a picture of me with some coworkers (in which I'm acting a bit sassy..)

I left work and got to feed the baby (one less time to pump today- yay!) before heading to the oral surgeon for my "surgery". I think it's funny what is called surgery sometimes - I only had a tooth pulled, and it didn't seem like that big of a deal. Of course, the dentist told me that I was his only patient for the day that wasn't put to sleep to have the procedure done, but alas- I digress. They showed me the crazy tooth (which they pull out one root at a time - - I didn't know that) and the infection that had been causing me the pain off and on for the last couple of years. Blasted tooth. Blasted infection. And now, I'm down one tooth. It wasn't even nice enough to be one of the ones in the back (although it is a molar - tooth #3 to be exact!). The recovery part sucks. For today, at least, lunch/dinner of yogurt, ice cream, and mashed potatoes hasn't been too bad. Tomorrow, I've got a smoothie and possibly scrambled eggs to look forward to. I like my food, though. Hopefully it's not too much longer before I feel okay to actually eat again. It's still bleeding (although nothing major), and pain peaks around day 3-5 with swelling peaking around day 2-3. Joy.

Maybe a starbucks would make it better? I'm not soo interested in shopping, and I do have on one of my favorite pairs of socks at the moment. Hmm.

Today: I'm thankful for my teeth. Most of them, that is!