Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Doggie Heaven


Tonight, for some reason, I am thinking of one of my dear friends. Or, perhaps more accurately, one of Kobe's dearest friends.

The picture today is of a girl-dog named Abby. She was one of the most mild-mannered, well behaved German Shepherds I have ever encountered. Although she didn't get along with all dogs, she loved to play - and she was very loved. I knew her most of her adult life, and Kobe spent countless hours with her at agility trials and training classes. Over time, she and Kobe allowed me to become friends with her owner, an amazing and strong woman. Abby is one of Kobe's playmates that have joined doggie heaven in the last year or so, and it makes me sad to realize that life - - even (and maybe especially) a dog's life - - is so very precious, and so very limited. "Abs" is a very special girl, and I will never forget her jaw strength (if she doesn't drop the toy for you to throw, there is no sense in trying to take it out of her mouth - YOU WILL LOSE). I will always remember her wet nose, her swimming in the pool, and her pleasant demeanor. More importantly, and perhaps more lasting, I will remember how she enabled me to make a lasting friend in her owner. Rest in Peace, dear Abby!

Okay, end of seriousness for a moment - I like silliness better.

After eating some yummy creme brulee for dessert, we began talking about dessert for the baby.

"Maybe if you shake your boobs really fast, the milk will come out as whipped cream!"

Today: I am thankful for friendship - - particularly those friends who share a passion for dogs. I am also thankful to have known, and considered among my four-legged friends, Minx and Cassie and Mako, Abby's renewed playmates in doggie heaven!