Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Homophone Trifecta

I think Trifecta was a word my dad used often. Since he had 3 kids, that is how he would sometimes refer to us, I think. So today, I decided I would look it up, to see what it means officially. Here is the definition that is somewhat suiting for today's discussion: any achievement involving three successful outcomes.

As I was cleaning up some old work-related notes, I came across two words: seeded and enforce. I immediately knew why I had written these words down --- they annoyed me! Why? There are insurance terms that are homophones, and the words were both used incorrectly in a presentation related to insurance. In the "insurance" sense (cents), these words are more typically "in-force" (as in the number of policies in force) and "ceded" (as in reinsurance ceded).

So why a homophone trifecta?

As I was pondering this blog, there were three "categories" of homophone related topics(ish) that came to mind. The first, those "insurance" related, are noted above. There are two other categories, though.

The second category? The "typical" usage of homophones (non-insurance). Words like two and too, their and they're, sense and cents. Accept and except. Weight and wait, Rain and Reign, breaks and brakes.

Lastly, the third category. These are the most fun. For lack of a better description, I'm going to call them Mommy/Kiddo homophones. Most people might not consider these word pairs homophones- but this Mommy, and her Kiddo, have their own "language". For kiddo, it is likely temporary as he learns to master language. For mommy, well.. no excuses, it is what it is.

Mommy: Crayon/Crown
Mommy: Cookie/kooky
Kiddo: coat/go
Kiddo: sock/snack
Kiddo: gabba gabba/gobble gobble

So this trifecta may not exactly measure "three successful outcomes," but it is all in the name of language, and homophones. Not to be confused with homophobes or homonymns or heterodasticity...

Love: Words, and the development of language. I couldn't have "spoken" this post with the same effect(affect).
Hope: We continue to understand more of kiddo's words every day!
Do: Get Mr. Kiddo to bed!