Monday, October 19, 2009

Another update - Oh my!


There are those mothers who are up all night with their infant. They can't get them to feed. They can't keep them happy. They can't sleep. They are - in short- miserable.

I am happy to report.... I am not one of "those" mothers. I have been counting my blessings as of late, and boy, are they numerous! I am very happy to have traded in the pregnancy for the baby!

So what are my blessings?
- Baby is sleeping 4 hours at a time (not just two or three), meaning less disrupted sleep for me, daddy, and grandma!
- Our midwife "home" visit provided both baby and I with a "clean" bill of health. The concerns over my anemia/blood loss/etc have been cleared for the most part (although I'm still on iron). Everything is relatively normal and happy! I am doing "better than expected." We'll know more about the baby tests by our next follow-up appointment in 2 weeks.
- I'm being treated like a queen! My hubby is running errands for me, my mom is cooking and cleaning for me, and all is going well as of today!
- Breastfeeding is not as miserable/painful as I expected. I assure you, I still have some soreness/tenderness and my milk has probably not fully arrived yet, but it's better than I anticipated.
- Did I mention this cute baby boy I have?
- Not as much fussing/crying as I would have expected. Maybe all that babysitting/childcare I did for so long is paying dividends.
- I'm not nearly as exhausted as I was while pregnant, and I at least have SOME of my body back - and had a "biggest loser" type of weight loss for this week!

Yep, all - in - all, I would say that motherhood and I are getting along well. I am sure, like anything, this will come with some ups and downs - - but for those down moments, I will at least have this "list" of blessings that I can look back on and refer to.

The attached picture was labeled, "love at first sight," by a local friend. I thought it was appropriate for this particular blog!