Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Midwives and babies

Do babies get cuter every day, or is it just me? :)

I thought I'd take just a few minutes to post about my experience with midwives. For anyone considering a midwife - I would definitely go that route! For me, it was a much higher degree of "care" than I think I would have gotten with a doctor. I felt like they were treating me like a person, not as a "patient." Even though there were many "clinical" aspects of my labor (with all the complications), I never felt less than a human being.

Anyhow - through the labor/delivery and time spent at the birthing center, I actually met/"used" 3 different midwives (and 5 nurses, I think). Maureen was "on call" when my water broke. She was around the longest for my "early" stages of labor. I think she must have been at the center for close to 30 hours with me. She is the owner/"director" of the clinic, and I think she took a personal interest in me (although perhaps she is that way with all her moms!) She had to do the nasty exams (checking dialation) and is a very "hands on" person. Even after she left, she continued to call regularly to get updates on the progress of the women currently in labor (which was me and another woman in the next room). She also did our "home visit" following the birth, which involved taking baby's blood for testing.

Here is her picture:


Towards the end, however, Leigh Ann took over and actually was the midwife that "caught" the baby. She had to do the lengthy repair of the tear, called this her "messiest birth ever," and did all the yucky stuff to me (putting me on antibiotic, IV fluid, catheter, etc). Overnight, Allison stayed and then in the morning, Leigh Ann was back. Of all of the people that helped during the birth, Leigh Ann sticks out to me the most. I really liked her demeanor and bedside manor. She made a difference in the experience for me, and played a very memorable part. The last thing she had to do was to put in a catheter (for the 2nd time). As we were leaving, I asked, "don't you have any additional torture devices up your sleeve?" Anyhow, here's a picture of us with Leigh Ann: