Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thinking of you, Dad.

A friend of mine once described life as separate periods of "transition" and "stability." In my experience of life thus far, this has definitely been the case! Over the next few months, I hope to be moving from a period of "transition" (2006-2009) into a period of "stability" (2010-???). I look forward to slowing down a little, and life as a family. I look forward to my dream of being "mommy" finally becoming a reality.

At the same time, especially yesterday, I consider the loss of my father. With society living to older ages all the time, I find it very sad that daddy didn't make it to celebrate his 65th birthday (which would have been 10/7/09). My father never knew I was pregnant. My baby will never know his grandfather - my father. He'll never enjoy sharing a bowl of popcorn (extra butter, extra salt) with him. He'll never receive that special "nickname" like his cousins Pooh, Tre, and Haley.

Growing up, I was fortunate to know all 4 of my grandparents. We lived in the same city, and got to see each other often. I remember rubbing my Grandpa Pepper's back, and riding in Grandpa Seago's old-fashioned car.

My wish is that baby will learn, through me and my siblings, pieces of my dad. As his momma, I'll teach him stupid jokes and a quirky sense of humor. He'll learn about Egg Foo Yawn when you are sick. He'll learn about independence and being strong-willed.

Through my brother, Uncle Sid, I hope he'll join Maria Tortilla in being given a "family" nickname. He'll learn that wherever life takes you, it's most important that you are happy - and you can make it through just about anything.

Through my sister, Aunt Sarah, I hope he'll learn compassion and how to be influential. He'll learn that family is always there for you, and loves you no matter what.

Although our little guy will never know life with two grandpas, he will have plenty of family that will love and cherish him.