Thursday, October 22, 2009

Babies, Marathons, and Yoga

As a new mommy, here's something I've learned and want to share.

I have now both had a baby and run a marathon (two actually). Some people will compare the two, as both are quite challenging. Another thought I'll throw into the mix for this blog is yoga. So what do babies, marathons, and yoga have in common?

In a word, I'll describe it as "respect." In each of these, I believe a person can learn a new way to respect the body, the mind, and the being.

Running a marathon is hard and requires training. It is both mentally and physically demanding. The tough part of running is that it takes a certain level of internal drive and devotion. The "I can do it" has to come from the mind - since it's easy to give in and make the "body" stop. Why not walk? Why not sit down?

Yoga is an experience where you learn your limits. How far you can stretch in different directions. It's also meditative, and helps you "cleanse" the soul and "quiet" the body. For me, it has always helped me to relax and be comfortable with who I am and the limitations that it brings. Yoga allows you to explore the boundaries of "control." You can choose to focus and collect.

Then there is the "having a baby" thing. I distinctly remember one of the midwives suggesting that it is "Primal and Earthy" - which I think is a great description. The thing about having a baby is that it is certain. One way or another, that baby is coming. The bodies physical aspect is tested. Unlike a marathon, however, there really is no choice to give in or give up. It's also not a mental activity, and instead a very physical - primal activity. In some ways, it is the complete "loss" of control. Another way of exploring the limits of the body.

So, in my world, the exploration of self comes from moments like these - moments involving babies, marathons, and yoga.


P.S. Another great thing about baby: It gives me unending inspiration and makes a daily blog lots of fun to write!