Monday, November 8, 2010

Unsettling...

I showed up at daycare today, as usual, to pick up kiddo. After I walked into his room, he wasn't there. There was also a strange man in the room whom I had never met before.

So, when I said something about, "where's my kid?", I was asked, in return, "is your kid particular about things?"... and then the story began.

After naptime is snack! Snack went well, as usual. It doesn't matter who feeds him, he's happy to eat! After snack, there was a tour of the daycare by a new prospective family. When a female teacher walked into the room with the family, the crying began. The male teacher, whom Kiddo has had only 2 or 3 times now, could not get kiddo calmed down. 20 minutes later, once the female teacher was done giving the tour to the prospective family, Kiddo was still very unhappy. Mommy was later than usual, and the time change is making things out of the normal. Plus, there was something at lunch today that kiddo was possibly allergic to (although we haven't "officially" done allergy testing yet). So - kiddo was being held and carried around by the female "relief" teacher, and the daycare was at peace again.

As the female teacher noted (correctly), Kiddo now has a care-taker hierarchy. Parents are definitely at the top, with female primary caregivers second, other female caregivers third, other friends & family fourth (we hope) and anyone else at the bottom. Unfortunately, for today, that included the male teacher (who noted that he has 5 kids and 6 grandkids - so the stranger anxiety is not a new experience for him!)

Poor kid. Bad day.

Love: That mommy at least makes the care-taker hierarchy!
Hope: Tomorrow is a better day. They are making soup, since it is nutrition week!
Do: Hope kiddo learns that male caretakers are really ok!
Thanks: Today, thanks goes to DH. Just because.

And in afterthought - I think my kid IS particular about things. In fact, as I was in the car on the way home, I recalled recently where my DH said something to the effect of, "Have you noticed that Kiddo has a temper?"

That's my boy. Personality definitely comes out when they are little!!