Monday, December 14, 2009

People Watching


I must admit - - I think one of the reasons I like social networking (aka Facebook) is because I'm nosy - - and because I enjoy people watching. It's not every day you can sit in an airport or be a tourist for the day. What does this have to do with anything?

On our recent trip to DC - - I think the people watching was the highlight!

I noticed myself... watching Mark when (perhaps) I should have been paying attention to the capital. I noticed DH... soooo excited to see coins he'd been wanting to see since he was 10 years old. I noticed all the "characters" out for the "Jingle All the Way 10K" on Sunday morning. I noticed another mom breastfeeding, in a museum.

I take great delight in human kind. The dad carrying his daughter up on his shoulders. The college buddies joking around. The kid drawing happy faces on the foggy window of the tram. The kindness of the stranger sharing an umbrella. The capitol security guard conversing with me about breastfeeding.

It was a cold and rainy weekend - - but it gave me great pleasure to be out and about and master the art of the first trip with kiddo. I'll do some things differently next time. More thin blankets, less thick ones. Fewer diapers. More onesies/layers for the kiddo for cooler weather. Smaller diaper bag that fits under the stroller. And some things, I'll certainly do the same. Bring the sleep sheep (portable noisemaker for kid). Enjoy the time spent with family.

Today: I am thankful for being human.