Thursday, December 31, 2009

Year in Review


Whew! Just back from a whirlwind tour. Our 11 week old has now been to 6 states, and visited family and friends from many parts of the country! (I need to start keeping track for him... but so far, his states include North Carolina, Virgina, Florida, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and DC if that counts.) Before he is 6 months old, we'll be adding Illinois and Colorado to that list! What a lucky little devil...

I digress. I thought I'd reflect on the year ending in just a few short hours!

I started the year married to my DH. Unfortunately, I also started the year with fret and worry over my baby - my best companion and dearest friend, my dog Kobe. Before the first week of January was over, Kobe was recovering from surgery to remove a cyst on his spine.

And unfortunately... the bad news didn't end there. With Kobe still in the hospital, only a few days later, my brother and sister called with the horrible news of my father's passing in a house fire. As we reflected on my father's death, we called it a "blaze of glory!" as that is how he would tell us the story. I miss my daddy. I miss that he is no longer around to tell stories. As long as I live, however, I pledge to remember him. Whether it's buying a diet coke at Quik Trip or giving a nickname to those I love, a part of my father will be with me always.

I was lucky enough to be in Kansas - at "home" - for my 32nd birthday. My sister, pregnant with her 4th child, was induced beginning that morning and my niece Grace was born. I am pleased to share such a special day with such a special girl, who has been adopted by a loving family a few miles away. Grace's family graciously keeps us updated on her progress. (Over the Christmas holiday, we got to see how well she is walking and eating and how much she is loved on a DVD.)

Upon returning back to North Carolina, Kobe continued to recover - and we began looking for a new home to call ours! With our lease expiring in May, we had a bit of time - and therefore spent some time looking. It was a process. Beginning in January, and dragging on for a bit.

In the interim, on Valentine's Day, the pregnancy test I took was positive. I was shocked and nervous - but mostly excited. FINALLY after waiting for many years, we would have a baby before year's end! The days of saying "I want one" could finally come to an end!

By May 1st, we closed on a fabulous new home. Beautiful. Everything we wanted and more (more money AND more features... bummer that those seem to go together!) The move went smoothly, and by mid-summer the dogs were ecstatic about their new fence.

Before the pregnancy progressed too far, we made a few "last" baby-free trips to visit family and a late honeymoon. We spent memorial day in Kansas. For the honeymoon, we flew to Spain for a Mediterranean Cruise to Italy, France, Spain, and Monaco. The land was beautiful and the sea was peaceful. The company (that is, my DH) made the trip memorable. His first cruise. Our second European adventure together.

In July, we visited family again and we were showered with gifts for our baby boy. We had friends visit from Texas. We got news of other babies on the way from good friends all across the country, and Austin friends engaged to be married. All the while, my belly grew and grew, engorged with the kiddo.

October 16th is the day of the year that will stick in my mind. Sometimes for reasons out of my control (filling out paperwork for Doctors or School), and others to remember and celebrate a special little boy - Heir Mark Jacob Williams.

A little on our whirlwind visit to family for the holidays... MJ travels well in planes, and on one plane we were told, "I didn't realize that I had a baby sitting right behind me" and on a second, "He was really good!" Family adored him - - particularly his 4 year old cousin, Jayla. Jayla would do anything we asked if it was for the baby. Get the carrier, get the blanket, get his pacifier - - put away his blanket or spitrag - - or throw away a diaper. She wanted to hold him all the time -- and he was almost as big as her! We also got to visit with a friend from Austin and friends in St Louis along the way, which was awesome. I didn't expect to be so COLD in Texas (the in-laws are working on getting heat in their house by adding insulation, currently). The white christmas (snow) was a nice touch. I didn't expect to be so TIRED along the way, either. I apologized if I shied away from helping in the kitchen or doing the dishes - - although Mark mostly slept through the night, I was not sleeping so well and taking care of an infant (for those who don't know) is pretty tiresome!

And alas, we are at home. The whole family has been bathed (people and dogs) and peace is currently upon us (now that the baby fussed it out and fell asleep, hopefully for the night!)

Could it be possible that the baby grew and developed so much in just the short week that we were gone? He looks a little fatter, and seems just a little longer sitting in his "bouncy" chair. He is holding toys and playing (actually interacting with!) a mobile. He's still pretty "boring" in my book (I look forward to running around and chasing him and teaching him so many things about the world - we've already started with signing and singing the ABCs and the counting song). He gets a little less boring every day, and I fall a little more in love.

And so - - 2009, like the last few years for me, was full of ups and downs. In 2009, the ups seemed higher (the baby, the new home) and the downs seemed lower (my dad, Kobe's surgery). I won't be making a resolution for 2010. However, I do have a wish: for peace and stability.

All in all, I continue to be blessed. SO - for those of you with glasses on this new year's eve, please join me in a toast: To 2009.

I'm stealing this last bit from many friends blogs - but it's one that I always enjoy.... so:

Peas out.