Saturday, March 3, 2012

Birthing Center

For this birth, like the last, we opted to use the North Carolina Birthing Center.

My primary reason for choosing an "out of hospital birth" was because of my issues with panic and anxiety. Anytime I see a medical professional for (almost) any reason, I cry. I cry for sonograms. I even cried at half the appointments with the midwives - while being seen in the "Birthing" room (and not the more typical room with a sterile white paper covered table, stirrups, and no windows). Yes, that includes the appointments where all they did was measure, feel my belly, and take the baby's heart rate. Just the thought of doctor appointments makes me squeamish.

Towards the end, I asked for a list of the midwife "on duty". In this particular practice, there are 6 or so midwives, and you have to "meet" each one prior to delivery. Then, as they say, the baby chooses the midwife. Baby G chose midwife Sarah.


This is interesting because my first two appointments were with Sarah. She asked the only question where I felt like I had to "lie". She asked "Are you OK with being pregnant?" - and I wanted to answer not just "no" but HE.. NO! And instead made up something to make it sound like yes the baby was planned, and yes I can accept pregnancy. But for the nine months that followed (as with the nine months with my first kiddo)- I am definitely NOT okay with being pregnant. I hate the swelling, the sickness, the heartburn. I hate the kicking in the abdomen, the frequent bathroom stops, the constipation. Generally speaking - I can't find anything fun about being pregnant, except the fact that you get a "baby" in the end. And I'm not that big of a baby person... but I am in it for the long haul, and I do look forward to the "kid" part.

Anyhow... There are several aspects of midwifery care that I really appreciate. For example, I was "allowed" (even if discouraged) to give birth standing - and in the bathroom. I felt like I was able to make some of my own choices, and that means a lot to me! I also got to go home fairly soon after the birth. Although I did have to sign a "waiver" (since I didn't even stay the 'mandated' 12 hour period after having tested positive for Strep B) - I was home to begin recovery in a more comfortable place. A nurse visited within the next 24 hours, and for the following two days - I got follow up calls. I scheduled and saw a lactation consultant.

I'm not the best patient - I didn't follow the "SPEND" acronymn of Sleep, Pee, Eat, Nurse, Drink - and within the week, went to a Museum (which may not have been the best idea- but I took it fairly easy!)

I'm still fairly sore - and recovering - and nursing is going to be the death of me - but more on that tomorrow.